Houston's warm and beautiful climate makes motorcycle riding the perfect pastime. However, as a motorcyclist, you know what roadway dangers exist. We expect those we share the road with to pay attention to what is happening around them so that we are safe while traveling on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
If you have recently been involved in a motorcycle accident, the experienced legal team at Leo & Oginni can provide the legal support and guidance you need with your personal injury. Our attorneys are dedicated to assisting motorcycle accident victims in securing just compensation for any bodily injuries and/or damages that were suffered. Contact us today to learn how we can help you fight for the justice and restitution that you deserve.
What is a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer and What do They Do?
A motorcycle accident lawyer helps victims prove they were victims of a negligent driver and helps them seek compensation for their injuries and losses. When motorcycle accident victims contact Leo & Oginni, they can expect the following services:
- Investigation of an accident — Not only can our lawyers help by investigating the accident scene, but they can also help gather relevant information, including police reports and witness statements. The information gathered in an investigation can help bolster a victim's claim.
- Establish liability — One of the primary things a motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston can do for a motorcycle accident victim is establish liability for the accident. This is important because it will be necessary to demonstrate fault when filing an insurance claim.
- Handle insurance negotiations — Motorcycle accident victims need time to recover physically and emotionally after an accident. Our motorcycle accident lawyers can handle all negotiations on behalf of their clients.
- Legal advice — In addition to advising a victim about their rights, our motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston will be fully prepared to take their case to court if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached with the insurance company.
At Leo & Oginni, our goal as motorcycle accident lawyers is to help our clients recover financially from an accident, whether that means settling with the insurer or taking the client's case to court.
What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
Too often, victims of motorcycle accidents take action after the wreck, which jeopardizes their legal rights. Some of the critical steps to take after an accident include:
- Contact law enforcement — You must contact law enforcement after an accident involving an injury. This allows for a full accounting of the accident, and a copy of the report will be available to anyone involved.
- Gather information — You should obtain other drivers' information, including license plate, insurance information, and contact information at the scene. If it is safe to do so and a victim is not seriously injured, they should also take photographs of the scene, including damages to the vehicles involved. When possible, you should also obtain witness contact information.
- Seek medical care — Even when a motorcycle accident victim does not feel their injuries are serious, it is vital to seek medical attention. Medical records will help establish the severity of an injury. Additionally, not all injuries may be readily noticeable in the immediate aftermath of an accident.
- Notify insurer — Many insurance companies have strict deadlines for reporting accidents. It is important to contact your insurer as soon as possible.
- Contact a lawyer — When you contact a personal injury lawyer in Houston, they can help ensure you understand your rights, as well as help navigate the complex process of filing a claim or a lawsuit when necessary.
Motorcycle accident victims should make sure they keep all receipts, maintain a record of their recovery or lack of recovery, and maintain accurate records of out-of-pocket costs associated with the accident.
What are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Every accident is different. However, there are some common reasons a motorcyclist is struck by another vehicle on the roadway. Some of these include:
- Driver neglect — Many motorcycle accidents occur because of the actions of other drivers. They may not see a motorcycle, or they may fail to yield the right of way. Other possible causes of an accident include impaired, distracted, and reckless drivers.
- Roadway hazards — While a motorcycle is more maneuverable than other vehicles on the roadway, sometimes road hazards, including potholes, uneven surfaces, or slick surfaces, can result in a Houston motorcycle accident.
- Mechanical failure — When sharing the roadway with other vehicles, another driver could lose control of their vehicle. These failures range from a tire blowout to brake or other mechanical failures.
At Leo & Oginni, experienced motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston, we will review all of the available evidence to make sure the responsible parties are held accountable for the damages a victim suffers in a Houston motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle Accidents Result in Serious Injuries and Damages
As we previously stated, motorcyclists have little protection from injury when they are involved in a crash. This is one reason why motorcycle accidents tend to be more serious than an accident involving two cars.
Motorcycle accident victims may suffer:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries
Every motorcycle accident victim should seek immediate medical care. In addition to the damage to a motorcycle, a victim is potentially facing life-threatening injuries. The best way to protect your health, even if you feel you are not seriously injured, is to seek immediate medical attention.
In general, motorcycle accident victims can seek compensation for the following losses they have suffered due to the negligence of another driver:
- Medical expenses — Motorcycle accident victims who have suffered an injury face mounting medical costs. These costs often include doctor visits, x-rays, rehabilitation costs, and medications for pain and infection. There is no reason for a victim to be burdened with these costs when an accident was not their fault.
- Lost wages and benefits — During recovery, motorcycle accident victims cannot work. The loss of income and benefits may be included in a demand for a compensation claim against the responsible driver.
- Other expenses and losses — In addition to repair or replacement of a victim's motorcycle, victims may also seek compensation for expenses to modify their home to accommodate their injuries, expenses to hire someone to perform household duties which the victim would do if not for their injury, and other expenses.
In one recent year, more than 8,000 motorcycle accidents occurred on Texas roadways. Motorcycle accident victims should ensure they fully understand their rights to seek compensation for their injuries and losses.
Don't Go Through a Motorcycle Accident Alone - Leo & Oginni is Here to Help
As an experienced personal injury law team in Houston, Leo & Oginni Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help those who have suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident. We understand you have a lot of questions and that you need answers. We also know that most victims do not understand their legal rights and options.
Contact Leo & Oginni today to schedule a free consultation, and let us make sure you have a complete understanding of your legal rights and options. Call us now at (713) 589-6143 or visit our Houston office today.
Image Source: Shutterstock / osobystist