Getting involved in an accident can be a traumatic experience, especially if you are a pedestrian. You will likely get severe injuries that require a long recovery time, as well as medical bills that may leave you with substantial financial debt. You can overcome these obstacles with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer, who will work to get you maximum compensation.
At Leo & Oginni, our compassionate attorneys will strive tirelessly to ensure justice is provided by holding those responsible accountable so medical costs stemming from these accidents do not go unpaid.
What Causes Most Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents are among the most common and traumatic accidents on our roads. They are often fatal or catastrophic because human bodies cannot withstand the impacts of heavy, large, or speeding motor vehicles. The leading causes of these accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Bad weather
- Overspeeding or reckless driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Ignored rights-of-way, especially at crossroads
- Driver's failure to signal while turning
- Poor road conditions or unmarked crossroads
What Should You Do If You Are Hit By a Car While Walking?
Following road safety guidelines and laws is the best practice to avoid crashes every time you use a public road. However, if you accidentally get involved in one, here are some steps you should take:
- Call the police - while most people are reluctant to notify the police in case of an accident, it is always prudent to involve them, no matter how minor the accident may appear. They help ensure the safety of everybody involved, conduct an initial investigation of the root cause, and write an accident report.
- Get medical attention
- Gather some information from the driver, such as the driver's name, insurance company, contact information, vehicle model, and plate number. You should also get contact information and names of witnesses, if any.
- Establish visual records if possible. Take videos and photos of the scene at different distances and angles.
- Write down the account of what happened while your memory is still fresh.
- Seek professional legal assistance - Leo & Oginni, Personal Injury Lawyers, can help you get your rights and the compensation to cover the medical bills and ease the recovery process.
What Are the Most Common Pedestrian Injuries?
According to the CDC, thousands of pedestrians sustain minor to major injuries or even get killed in fatal pedestrian accidents in the U.S. every year. Most of these accidents occur in cities or urban areas, especially at night, and mostly cause the following pedestrian injuries:
- Fractures at both lower and upper extremities
- Spinal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries to minor bruises, internal tearing, and joint dislocations
- Traumatic brain injuries
Determining Liability after a Pedestrian Accident
In any clash between pedestrians and motor vehicles, pedestrians will likely suffer more injuries because they are unprotected and lack plastic or a steel buffer. Thus, the liability in vehicle-pedestrian accidents slightly differs from car-to-car collisions because pedestrians are much more vulnerable.
When determining the liability for a fair settlement, the defendant's and plaintiff's attorneys gather the facts about the incident from various sources to determine the side that was at fault. They may settle the issue early to avoid a trial if they establish that the defendant was at fault beyond a reasonable doubt. But if they cannot agree on the liability or the compensation is too low, the plaintiff's attorney could take the case to court for determination.
How Can a Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help You?
While recovering from injuries sustained during an accident, the last thing you would hear is to get into the tag of war with insurance companies for the compensation you rightfully know you deserve. Before you battle with the insurance companies, reach out to Leo & Oginni for professional legal assistance. We will help you with the following:
- Evaluating the worth of your claim
- Protecting your legal rights against the tactics of the insurance companies
- Negotiating your case for more compensation
- Provide professional and high-quality legal representation
- Holding the car drivers liable for your accident
Receive the Help and Compensation You Deserve with Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
After experiencing an accident, the insurance companies turn against you to avoid the justice you deserve. While you need to fight for it, you don't have to fight alone. You require exceptional representation that guarantees maximum compensation.
At Leo & Oginni Trial Lawyers, PLLC, in Houston, TX, we have experienced pedestrian accident lawyers who are always ready to help you through the entire accident recovery process to ensure your rights as a pedestrian are apprised. Reach out to us today to schedule a free consultation.
Image Source: Gena Melendrez/Shutterstock